PRO AV CATALOG
University of Minnesota (ALIVE) for Learning
CHALLENGEIn revising curriculum for the Doctorate of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) program, the University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy sought to make a significant pedagogical change. Rather than traditional “sage on the stage” instruction, the new model was created to promote student created knowledge, with instructors able to direct, coach and expand on that learning. New classroom AV technology was needed to support this new model, and provide a bridge between the Duluth and Twin Cities campuses.
SOLUTIONA.L.I.V.E. for Learning (Active Learning and Interactive Video Environment) achieves the evolutionary step forward for active learning classrooms that was envisioned by its design collaborators. The room seamlessly combines all aspects of a modern Active Learning Classroom with state-of-the-art video conferencing capabilities. The room is designed to cultivate local active learning punctuated by faculty facilitation across distance using highly integrated and automated video conferencing. A.L.I.V.E. for Learning offers:
- Cooperative learning environments that encourage student collaboration and peer teaching.
- Technology that allows students to easily present work for review by peers and instructors.
- Furniture designed to facilitate small-group work.
- The ability for instructors to interactively coach students during activities.
- New options for student interaction and class structure.
IMPACT"As the University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy Person notes, “Our curriculum revision required more than existing ALCs had to offer. WDH 7-135’s ALIVE for Learning design blew our original expectations out of the water. And was under budget, too."
– Charles Bottemiller, Senior Engineer
Advanced Sound & Communication
Kansas City, MO 64111